Tuesday, August 14, 2007

What are these?

This is a question I am often asked about my art. Are they drawings, prints, photographs, illustration? And all I can really say is - Yes.

My process is simple. Digital photography. The shutter clicks, the strobes go off, and then the image is created. From there, the image is exported into PhotoShop and it is tweaked, remade. The colors are adapted to my pallet, as is saturation and contrast. Layers are created, color touched up, along with other changes and there you have it.

I have always been inspired by the art at the turn of the 20th century. This includes photographic process of that time as well as the designs found in Art Nouveau. Early entries on this blog provide examples.

Why digital? It has much to do with not creating more waste or environmental impact on this Earth. Digital is really good for that (though I wish technology would slow down a bit so computers would stop becoming obsolete so quickly).

Each image is about four and a half inches by seven inches in size. Each is printed on an eight by ten inch paper. This is an intimate project, needing intimate viewing. Do come closer.

And, they will last a long time if treated properly, as they are printed on archival paper with archival pigment inks.

The editions are all small. I do not believe in flooding the market place with images. for each photograph shown, there will be a limited edition of ten and each one comes with its own certificate of authenticity.

No comments: